It is great when clients come knocking on your doors; all you need to do is hand over a quote and start writing after sending freelance writing contract. But sometimes, you need to go hunting for them. People may not know that they need you and hence you need to approach the situation with some skill.
Hunt for the clients that you want
Look around for people that you want to work with. There are people who are looking for freelance writers and there are also people who are willing to spend money on freelance writers. People like private tutors, Web designers, doctors, and lawyers know that written words are precious and will be willing to hire you for generating more revenue for them. This is a win-win situation for both of you.
- Go on the Internet and look for professionals in your area. There are some people who just want to deal locally and you can use your hometown as an icebreaker.
- You can ask your friends if they know any professionals in their families.
Reach out for getting in touch with them
Not literally and certainly not lawyers. But you can contact them for letting them know that you are there and willing to help. You will need to make a phone call or send a mail but don’t be discouraged about this. The worse thing that can happen is that they will say no or they won’t answer at all. On the other side, you might end up with a lot of money if you get the contract. If this is just one amongst those 50 emails or phone calls, it is totally worth it.
- Friendly and short emails can do wonders. You can start with something like ‘Hi, I went through your Website while surfing the Internet and wanted to tell you that I am a copywriter just in case you need my services’.
- Don’t get nervous about calling people. In worst case scenarios, you will end up learning flowery new language if you are interrupting during lunch. Just call up the guy and tell him that you are a writer. Also tell him that you have some experience that will help him in growing the business.
- They might ask you for samples straight away so be prepared about this. You can simply fire up an email showing them what you can do. Keep your freelance writer resume updated.
- If you have a Website, make sure that it is fashionable and upto date. People do peep to check in and if it looks bad, then they certainly won’t have any faith in you.
If you have any other tips about getting more clients do let me know in the comments section below.