Ten essential leadership skills in business
Not everyone out there is a leader and leadership isn’t meant for everyone. However, there are a lot of people who don’t realize that they are leaders. Leadership is multi-faced but it is just a question of knowing how to lead and why.
I am jotting down ten skills of leadership for businesses.
- Leading by example – This is really important. If you want to be a leader, you should lead by example and pitch in when people need you. You should als lend a helping hand to people when they need you. Also, you should make sure that you team members understand the work that you are doing.
- Passion – It is hard to think of a leader without passion. He might be a leader at the lowest level but passion drives a lot of things. You should inspire others with your enthusiasm and passion. This doesn’t mean that you need to be cheery all the time but you should know what is your role in the company and your company is doing.
- Good organization – Disorganized leader can never lead well because he is always chasing his own tail. You should avoid being disorganized because it will lead to further disorganization. If you are messy and frazzled, your team will end up doing the same. Your productivity increases when you are well organized and you end up with better results.
- Delegation – It is not possible to do everything and hence a good leader needs to delegate his tasks well. When it comes to delegation, you should give your employees a sense of ownership of the work that you assign to them. They need to feel that they own the work.
- Take full responsibility and ownership-You might have delegated the work well but you also need to take ownership and responsibility of what your team is doing. Every team will go through a good and bad time. You will have to face both the situations.
- Effective communication – It is known that great leaders need to be good communicators. But there are some communication points that people forget. For instance, you need to tell your employees about the work they are doing and how beneficial will it be to the company in the long run. You should tell them that the work you are doing makes a big difference to the company. You need to be precise while communicating.
- Be honest and brave – Cowardly leaders will be shy of facing the different challenges that turn up when they are leading a team. But you will have to be brave and face any kind of situation that you might face in the organization. Honesty too is important. Do not sugarcoat or obfuscate. Learn to present things well.
Great listener -This is another part of communication – good listening. If you just talk and don’t let your people talk, then you are a bad leader. It is important to keep your people motivated by asking questions and listening to them. You should also understand their issues well. You will respond more effectively if you listen more. In the end, you will get to the heart of the things faster.
- Know your people – You need to know your people. You do not need to be best friends and don’t need to socialize after work but you need to know them well. It is important that you know thing about their personal lives because this matters a lot during work. You can keep a track of their marriages, children, birthdays, etc.
- Be a follower – Great leaders are good followers. If you don’t follow anyone, it means that you are a dictator and not a leader.
There are many leadership based degrees available, including an organizational leadership masters degree, for aspiring managers.